Conor McGregor has responded to Donald Cerrone after he was called out on Saturday night.
The 35-year-old American UFC fighter fought against Alexander Hernandez in the lightweight division and emerged victorious after a second-round stoppage.
Following on from the fight, though, Cerrone made it clear that he wanted a fight with McGregor.
“It feels good to be back at 155lbs… I want top five. I even want Conor if he’ll agree to it,” he said.
Well, he certainly caught the attention of McGregor. The 30-year-old Irishman took to Twitter to respond to Cerrone’s challenge.
“For a fight like that Donald, I’ll fight you. Congratulations,” he wrote.
Last year, Cerrone suggested that he would have the opportunity to take on McGregor inside the octagon.
“I think [McGregor’s] side is interested in it, I know I’m very interested, and for the UFC, that’s a money fight,” he told ESPN.
“By no means am I overlooking Alex. I’m focused on getting through him, and Conor is potentially what’s next.
“I don’t see why he would turn the fight down. I’m interested to see how it all plays out. I’m pretty sure Conor and I will be meeting in the Octagon soon.”
The Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended McGregor for his part in the aftermath of his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.
The Notorious will learn his fate on 28th January, whether it is receiving a fine or a ban.
However, UFC president Dana White has revealed that a rematch between McGregor and Nurmagomedov should happen in 2019.
Who would win out of McGregor and Cerrone?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: PA