UFC president Dana White has confirmed that a rematch between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor should happen in the coming months, and it might just be the best news we’ve heard in 2019.
Back in October, after all the trash talking and threats, Conor McGregor tapped at the end of round four after Nurmagomedov locked in one of his famous submission holds and in the process, retaining his lightweight crown.
Then, in an out of character move from Khabib, he jumped the octagon and attacked Dillion Danis, a friend and sparring partner of McGregor.
McGregor later climbed up the frame himself and threw a punch at one of Khabib’s team, with even more carnage occurring when some of the Russian’s entourage stormed the Octagon and attacked the ‘Notorious’ fighter.
Khabib after he jumped into the crowd. Image: PA Images
It was all a bit mad, and now we are set for another clash between two of the biggest names in the UFC, according to the president himself.
In an interview with TMZ earlier, Dana White said: “As long as everything goes right, this fight should happen.
“I think a lot of people want to see that fight. Obviously, again, we still haven’t gone through the Nevada State Athletic Commission. That’s gotta happen and when it does we can see how this is all gonna play out”
When asked if he thinks the rematch will be in 2019, he replied “Yes, I do”
Here’s the interview in full:
Of course, when the bout is announced will be dependent on the suspensions both McGregor and Khabib receive in the near future.
As previously mentioned Khabib jumped the cage at the end of his UFC 229 victory against Conor McGregor on October 7 and attacked Dillion Danis – a decision that could land him with a hefty fine and a possible nine month ban, according to his father.
In a recent interview, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov understands his son will be fined $500,000 (£396,000) by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
NSAC are expected to to sanction the pair on January 29, but it sounds like a settlement could have already been agreed upon, judging by Abdulmanap’s recent comments.
“I don’t know how it will end,” Abdulmanap said via The Express.
“As far as I understand, we will get a fine of $500,000 (£396,000), and maybe we could not fight in the next nine months. Of course, it should have never happened. Now we are just looking forward for a bright future and other lucrative fights.”
The report also states that if Khabib is banned for nine months, the suspension ‘is likely’ to be backdated to October.
This means he would be able to fight from July 6 onwards.