America has a new contender for the absolute grossest thing to happen in a fast-food restaurant. Apparently bored at work and fulfilling their need as teenage boys to do something disgusting, a pair of employees at a Honolulu location of Teddy’s Bigger Burgers decided, “Hey, why not, let’s grill a whole freakin’ rat.” One of them Snapchatted a video of the act (you can watch it on YouTube, but, uh, why would you?), causing the Hawaiian chain to temporarily shut down the location and fire the, uh, bold young chefs.
Teddy’s president Richard Stula says the company is investigating the video’s authenticity, and that the restaurant is undergoing a “complete sanitization.” Equipment and utensils will be replaced, and hopefully everything involved in the rat grilling will be burned to ashes and jettisoned into space. In an extremely Hawaiian comment, Stula added that the company is horrified by the employees’ actions, which he described as an attempt “to destroy our reputation without regard for our 20-plus years of quality and aloha.” It’s not yet clear if this was a case of Ratatouille gone horribly, horribly wrong.
Here’s a Horrifying Restaurant Story About Cooking a Rat